- Northeastern: 03/28/2023
- Fellowship: 03/28/2023
If you meet the eligibility criteria and are interested in applying for this fellowship, please fill out a preliminary questionnaire. You may contact the office with any questions.
Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) is designed to support American undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study overseas in East or Southeast Asia. The program’s goal is to increase the number of Americans with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures.
Award recipients are required to share their experiences with their home campuses or communities to encourage study abroad by others and fulfill the program's goal of increasing understanding of Asia in the United States.
Preference will be given to students who:
- Participate in language study that will enhance their ability to engage with the host culture.
- Enroll in a study abroad program with at least 20 hours per week of class time, incorporating the study of an East Asian language, culture, and history.
- Participate in a study abroad programs taught by host country faculty members.
- Demonstrate sincere interest in incorporating East Asian Studies into future academic and/or professional plans.
The three primary criteria used to evaluate Freeman-ASIA Award applications are:
- Financial need
- Commitment to and demonstrated interest in East Asian Studies
- Quality of the service project proposal
A Freeman-ASIA Award provides need-based funding to assist the recipient with the cost of the study abroad program and related expenses, including airfare, basic living costs, local transportation, books, etc.
- Summer Award – up to $3,000
- Semester/Quarter Award – up to $5,000
- Academic Year Award – up to $7,000
Freeman-ASIA Award funds may be adjusted should the recipient receive additional financial assistance not reported at the time of application.
Award payments are made payable to the recipient but are sent to the Study Abroad Adviser for distribution. Funds are released to the recipient in one lump sum for summer and semester awards and in two installments for academic year awards.
Students may apply for institutional/program-based Freeman Foundation grants and the Freeman-ASIA Awards at the same time, but may only accept one per proposed study abroad term should the student be awarded both.
Interested students should apply to Freeman-ASIA in the academic term before their study abroad program begins. Applications must also be endorsed by both the study abroad adviser and the financial aid adviser by the specified deadline.
Interested? Have Questions?
If you meet the eligibility criteria and are interested in a fellowship or opportunity, please fill out a preliminary questionnaire. Contact the office with any questions: