The Letter Packet Includes the full content of all required evaluator letters and a cover sheet from the PreMed and PreHealth Advising Program. It does not include an evaluation from the PreMed and PreHealth Advising Program. Students who do not meet all the requirements and deadlines for a Committee Letter may still qualify for a Letter Packet.
A Letter Packet requires that applicants obtain required Letters of Evaluation, receive their entrance exam scores (MCAT or DAT), and submit a primary application (and upload a PDF copy to MAP). Once these conditions are met, applicants should may request their Letter Packet. If you do not meet all requirements you will not be eligible to receive a Letter Packet but may still apply with individual letters. If you choose to send individual letters of evaluation, please do not request them through MAP. Instead, follow the instructions in the common application for your profession.
Applicants who are accepted to a medical school and decline matriculation are not eligible for future Letter Packets. The PreMed and PreHealth Advising Program has a three time limit for Letter Packets. The PreMed and PreHealth Advising Program cannot forward letters to any program other than what was designated on the original request. Thus, we are unable to send letters to medical masters or Post-Baccalaureate programs. Please contact your evaluators directly to request that letters be tailored to the program to which you are applying.
The following letters of evaluation are required and must be requested and received through MAP to be eligible to request a Letter Packet.
3 Internal, Faculty Letters
- These letters must be written by Northeastern faculty who have taught you in class (or through a directed study) and are familiar with your academic achievement.
- 2 letters must be from science faculty (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Physics).
- 1 letter may be from academic faculty in any course discipline, though we recommend a non-science letter.
- If you volunteered (or were paid) to perform work for a Northeastern faculty member and did not receive academic credit for that experience, the letter would be considered an external letter.
1 External, Clinical Letter
- This letter must come from a practitioner in the field to which you are applying (i.e. from a MD if you are applying to MD programs, a Dentist if you are applying to dental school, from a DO if you are applying to Osteopathic School, etc.)
- The letter must represent a relevant medical experience in the United States within the last 18 months. That experience must include patient interaction. Letters from family friends, even if they are physicians, are not encouraged. Letters from family members are not allowed.
2 External, Optional Letters
- Applicants have the option to include one or two additional external letters. Typically, these letters of evaluation will come from your co-op, volunteer and/or community service supervisors. If you have a significant research experience, it is recommended you obtain a letter of recommendation from your PI and/or direct supervisor.
While students enrolled in Northeastern University’s Post-Baccalaureate Program should consult with the CPS Career and Academic Coaching Staff for general advising, they may still be eligible to receive a Letter Packet from the PreMed and PreHealth Advising Program.
In addition to all other requirements and deadlines, CPS students must also meet the requirements below to be eligible to receive a Northeastern Letter Packet.
For students enrolled prior to Fall 2019
You must complete at least four one-year science course sequences (with corresponding labs) at Northeastern to qualify for a Letter Packet.
For students enrolling in Fall 2019 or later
You must take 8 of the courses listed below (with corresponding labs) at Northeastern to qualify for a Letter Packet.
BIO1100/BIO1101 Principles of Biology 1
BIO1200/BIO1201 Principles of Biology 2
BIO2300 Cell Biology
BIO2500/2501 Genetics and Molecular Biology
CHM1100/CHM1101 General Chemistry 1
CHM1200/CHM1201 General Chemistry 2
CHM2110/CHM2111 Organic Chemistry 1
CHM2200/CHM2201 Organic Chemistry 2
CHM2300/CHM2301 Analytical Chemistry
PHY1200/PHY1201 Physics 1
PHY2200/PHY2201 Physics 2
A Letter Packet requires that applicants obtain required Letters of Evaluation, receive their entrance exam scores (MCAT or DAT), AND submit a primary application (and upload a PDF copy to MAP). Once these conditions are met, applicants may request their Letter Packet.
To request a Letter Packet please email Ciara O’Donnell at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject “Letter Packet Request”. The body of the email must include your full name, the name of the centralized application service(s) you are applying to (i.e. AMCAS), and your application year.