The Honors Experience, at your fingertips
While we can’t meet you in person just yet, we’re delighted to share with you some of the most exciting aspects of an Honors education at Northeastern through our Honors Virtual Welcome.
The Honors Virtual Welcome Videos will introduce you to the rigorous, exciting Honors courses and seminars we offer, taught by talented professors who are world renown in their fields. Perhaps even more importantly, you’ll meet some of the people— our students, faculty, advisors, and more— who make the Honors community incredibly rich and engaged.
First, watch a special message from the University Honors Program Director Professor Laurie Kramer. She’ll suggest you watch the Honors Keynote Session that features two of our outstanding Honors students, Kritika Singh (Rhodes Scholar) and Michael Tormey (Marshall Scholar), joined by Honors Faculty-in-Residence and College of Social Sciences and Humanities Associate Dean, Dr. Tom Vicino.
Then, experience what the cultural life at Northeastern is like for Honors students. Explore our vibrant and inclusive Cultural Centers and read personal narratives written for you from Honors Ambassadors like Courtney Smith:
“With both financial and earnest community support as a member of the Honors Program, I was able to study abroad during my first summer in Kampala, Uganda. To this day, I consider this one of the best things I’ve done so far during my time here. As a student of color, it was imperative to me to not only enrich my college experience, but also my own global awareness, particularly in a region that despite its beauty and vibrant culture is both overlooked and underrepresented.”
These narratives demonstrate the tight-knit bonds Honors students develop, with each other and with the broader Northeastern community.
You will then have the opportunity to view Honors Masters Classes offered by Northeastern faculty members. These classes are a sneak peek into the exciting and innovative fields Honors students have opportunities to delve into during their time at Northeastern.
Honors Master Class Facilitators:
- Professor John Basl (Philosophy, College of Social Sciences and Humanities)
- Professor Michael Hoppmann (Communication Studies, College of Arts, Media and Design)
- Professor Barbara Larson (Management, D’Amore-McKim School of Business)
- Professor Heather Littlefield (Linguistics, College of Science)
- Professor Alan Mislove (Associate Dean and Director, Undergraduate Programs, Khoury College of Computer Sciences)
- Dean and Professor Jack Reynolds (School of Pharmacy, Bouvé College of Health Sciences)
- Professor Rifat Sipahi (Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, College of Engineering)
Learn how Honors at Northeastern positions students for their brilliant future by viewing in this panel discussion, Success Beyond Northeastern featuring:
- Professor Doug Hughes, Director of the PreMed/PreHealth Advising Office
- Monty Thomas, PreLaw Advising Office
- Michael Tormey, student representing the Office of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
- Professor Emily Zimmerman, Communication Sciences & Disorders, Bouvé College of Health Sciences (moderator)
Parents: Watch Professor Shan Mohammed, a physician who specializes in Public Health and serves as a Faculty-in-Residence (he actually lives with students in the residence hall!) about his perspectives about how the University Honors Program supports the personal growth of its students.
Hear sage advice from Professor Rebecca Riccio—a parent of two Honors students— who also teaches in Honors, coordinates an Honors Living Learning Community, and directs the Northeastern University Social Impact Lab.
Be on the look-out for announcements about upcoming Instagram Q&As (April 21, 24, and 28) and Webinars (April 16) so that you can learn more about being an Honors student at Northeastern—including the dedicated funding and resources we supply for research and creative endeavors, global experiences, community building, and more!
Welcome to our Honors Pack!